Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Book Review- Rusch To Glory


For everyone who’s ever thought, That looks amazing, but I could never . . . these stories are for you. I believe you can. I’m living proof of that. And I hope you enjoy the trying as much as I have.
~ Rebecca Rusch

In one's mind it's easy to justify the amazing accomplishments of a professional athlete. "Well, they're just genetically gifted". "They have access to all the best resources". "Their sponsor has deep pockets"....etc.

"Rusch to Glory" personifies the inverse of that mentality.

Teaming up with Selene Yeager, Rebecca has documented the extremely adventurous arc of her life to date, both prior to becoming a professional athlete, as well as the amazing accomplishments thereafter. It's both comforting and inspiring knowing she faces some of the same demons that haunt us all, from everyday life events, to self doubt and anxiety in competition.

From her single parent youth in the Chicago suburbs, to the far reaches of the globe via adventure racing, to the top podium of the most prestigious mountain bike races in the world, I noticed one true constant, perseverance. She absolutely refuses to quit. I was intrigued by the amount of detail provided on her successes and failures in both her professional and personal life. Very interesting, open, and honest.

Rebecca autographing my copy- Leadville, CO 2014


I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.                       ~ Diane Ackerman

  • In 2006, at the age of 38, she became a professional mountain biker.
  • She suffered from bulimia as a young adult.
  • She suffers from intermittent asthma attacks.
  • She lived in her vehicle for an extended period.
  • She hated riding a mountain bike prior to embracing the discipline.
  • She's a Firefighter/EMT in her hometown of Ketchum, Idaho.
  • She hates pink (the color)

Rebecca is proof positive that unbelievable feats of endurance, athletic skill, and leadership capability are not gender specific. Not one to rest on her laurels, she continues to compete and advocate for women in cycling. You will be amazed and inspired.



db

No comments:

Post a Comment